Goals & Experiences
Students participating in the Health Sciences Academy will be able to:
1. Make health career decisions suited to their individual needs, aptitudes, abilities, and career objectives.
2. Develop a pre-professional or pre-technical foundation that supports successful pursuit of advanced education and/or entry-level employment in a health career.
3. Develop a foundation of basic skills and knowledge required for employment in a changing healthcare environment including:
o Science & Mathematics
o Technology applications
o Communications skills
o Professional behavior & ethics
o Analysis and problem solving
4. Establish healthy life style behaviors.
- A high school curriculum focused in health sciences with practical applications and a wide range of health careers educational preparation (from physicians to healthcare support careers)
- A practical and specialized program to create a smooth transition into health careers jobs and/or post-secondary education
- A program where students' talents are developed
- Health careers leadership skills development
- Tours, shadowing, and health careers fairs
- Paid internships and apprenticeships
- Clinical experiences, applications, and independent studies
- Distance learning instruction and demonstrations with the medical community
- Community/volunteer service programs
- Health careers institutes
- Health careers achievement in academics, community service, and clinical applications