GLOBAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS
What We Currently Offer (2017-18)
- Spanish Classes (every grade level K-5th)- 45 minute class each week
- Spanish integration and co-teaching in Art, Music, PE as well as in 4th-5th grade
- 30 minutes daily of physical activity (can include calisthenics, exercise, health science, nutrition)
- Wellness Team (Running/Walking “Feet” Incentive and Staff Wellness Team)
- Classroom Brain-based Energizers and focus on student movement (ball chairs, pedal desks, Whole-Brain Teaching strategies)
- Partnership with Vidant and Learn Healthy America to gain resources
- Kindergarten “Garden Program”-Weekly hands-on lessons with volunteers from Community Garden. Students learn about vegetables, gardening, healthy eating, composting.
- Global Partnership with ECU and Hiroshima University (Hiroshima Teachers visit and teach lessons at Elmhurst each year and Elmhurst teachers visit Japan.)
- Received a $25,000 Perkins Grant and working on more to fund an outdoor fitness station on our walking trail from an Eagle Scout project
- New Elmhurst Gym will be opening in the fall 2017, with new PE equipment, new bathrooms and filtered Water Fountains with water-bottle fill-up stations to encourage all students to stay properly hydrated at school.
- We are hoping to offer some afterschool intramural School Sports Clubs (basketball, football, soccer, etc…) and a running team in the Spring 2018
- ECU Partnership will expand to include field trips by grade level to Student Recreation Center, North Campus Recreational Complex, as well as presentations by ECU Clubs on Handwashing, Nutrition, Fitness and Exercise, Hydration.