The Public Information OfficeThe purpose of the Pitt County Schools Public Information Office is to communicate accurate and timely information to both internal and external customers on important issues related to the school district. One of the primary goals of the office is to serve as a communication liaison between Board of Education members, the Superintendent’s Senior Staff, department heads, principals and all PCS employees. The office seeks to maintain open two-way communication with all employees. The school system also strives to keep all students, families, business and community partners, elected officials and taxpayers informed about school-related issues and programs. It is the responsibility of the PIO to be well informed about the issues and about school programs.
The PIO is also responsible for:
- Serving as the primary contact for the news media, newcomers, and anyone with questions about the school system.
- Gathering information, writing and editing news releases.
- Providing timely and complete responses to requests for information pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Reviewing promotional materials for distribution to schools.
- Publishing Walking the Halls, a monthly report about the achievements of students, teachers and schools in the district.
- Producing district-wide advertisements as needed.
- Organizing meetings and special events for the district.
- Performing routine updates to the Pitt County Schools website.
- Serving as the district coordinator for the Connect 5 Phone Notification System.