- Pitt County Schools
District Letter- Istation Implementation
To: PCS Staff, Parents, Guardians and Community Members
From: Ethan Lenker, Superintendent
Steve Lassiter, Assistant Superintendent of Educational Programs and Services
Lisa Tate, Director of Elementary Education
Date: June 19, 2020
Re: mCLASS Replacement, Istation Implementation
On Friday, June 7, school districts across North Carolina received correspondence from our State Superintendent, Mark Johnson, regarding the new K-3 diagnostic tool, Istation. State law requires North Carolina school systems to have one reading diagnostic tool for every K-3 class. Recently, a new state law required the Department of Public Instruction to evaluate diagnostics and select one to be implemented next school year. The diagnostic tool selected by State Superintendent Johnson, to be implemented during the 2019-2020 school year, is Istation.
While the timing of this information was less than ideal, we assure you that as a school district, we will provide school leaders and teachers the necessary tools for successful implementation of Istation.
Regarding literacy, Pitt County Schools assesses students continuously, particularly at the K-3 level. Teachers use multiple data points with students, especially when teaching the concept of reading. Istation is one intervention assessment tool. Every day, in all of our classrooms, we use multiple instructional tools including rigorous lessons, individualized learning, small group instruction, and numerous interventions. As we prepare for the transition from mCLASS to Istation, we will continue to utilize the comprehensive literacy framework practiced by Pitt County Schools for the success of all our students.
We will be launching a new reading diagnostic tool, Istation, over the summer.
Istation is a tool designed by teachers for teachers and has proven results of helping students grow.
State law requires North Carolina to have one reading diagnostic tool for every K-3 class. Recently, a new state law required the Department of Public Instruction to evaluate diagnostics and select one to be implemented next school year.
We will be working with local leaders to provide live webinars, in-person trainings, and ongoing support over the summer and throughout the year so that you will be comfortable with the new learning platform.
Here are some exciting aspects of Istation for K-3 teachers and students:
- Istation’s goal is to provide teachers a quick and easy-to-use tool to allow more time for teachers to teach with personalized instruction, 1-on-1 supports, and small group learning environments.
- Istation is intuitive, its assessments are formative, and its content adapts to the individual needs of students.
- Students receive personalized data profiles and because the formative assessment is quick and easy to take, students are able to spend more time with their teachers than they do on devices.
- An entire class can be assessed in approximately 30 minutes, and data is available to the teacher immediately, allowing him or her to immediately begin personalizing instruction.
- Teachers will be able to select from 3000 teacher-led lessons and lesson plans to help assist in this personalization. These lessons are recommended to the teacher based on a student’s individual needs.
You can learn more about Istation here. On this landing page, you will find answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). We will continue to update this website with more information, such as details on enrollment and professional development, over the coming days and weeks.
We are excited by the journey ahead, and we are committed to supporting you and your teams as we embark on this new initiative together.