Schools are recommended to follow CDC guidelines and of their local health director. Pitt County Schools will operate under the following guidelines.
Management of Student Illness
● Students who are sick should be managed per pre-Covid-19 illness protocols and may return to school when they are well.
● Students must be fever free for at least 24 hours (without fever-reducing medication).
● The student should have no vomiting or diarrhea for at least 12 hours from the last episode.
● Students should feel well enough to fully participate in school activities.
● Students are no longer required to be "cleared" to return to school ~ no Covid test or MD clearance is required to return following illness.
● Students who become sick while at school should be directed home by their supervising teacher/staff member.
Students and staff who test Covid Positive
● Students/staff who have a positive Covid test result should isolate from others for 5 days following the start of symptoms, then should wear a mask for 5 additional days to return to school/work.
● Individuals should continue to isolate themselves from others until fever-free and symptoms have significantly improved.
● No Covid re-testing is required for return to school/work for positive individuals.
Students and staff who are exposed to someone with Covid
● Students/staff identified as exposed to a Covid positive individual (regardless of where exposure occurs - home, school, community, etc.) may continue to attend school/work.
● Contact tracing and notification of an exposure is no longer required.
● It is recommended that students/staff who have direct exposure and develop symptoms of Covid be tested.
For more information, please see below:
Center for Disease Control (CDC)
My Covid Plan (with QR Code)
At-Home Test Expiration Date Extension Lists