Children can experience a wide range of problems – physical, social, emotional and behavioral—that affect their schoolwork. School Health Services works through schools to help students manage these problems and improve their academic performance.
Keeping Kids Healthy
Vidant Medical Center provides school nurses to Pitt County Schools. School nurses serve pre-k students through 12th grade students. These registered nurses work in the schools to help teachers, parents and students deal with health issues that may affect academic performance.
The school nurses are part of health teams at area schools and they coordinate programs that promote good health among students and staff.
- Coordination of educational programs on disease and injury prevention
- Collaboration between the school and health providers
- Management of medication
- Assessment of student and staff health needs
- Development of health plans and emergency action plans for students who have specific medical needs
- Referrals may be made by inpatient and emergency department admissions personnel, parents, physicians, school staff, students or other agencies