At Chicod School, we have clearly defined rules and expectations, which lead to a safe and positive environment for all bus riders. If a student behaves in a way that is distracting or dangerous to the driver, the driver is to report the misbehavior to the office. Pitt County Bus Rules are found on page B-54 of this handbook. The driver will assign seats and post a seating chart at the front of the bus.
Chicod has summarized the rules and expectations as follows:
- Be at your bus stop (15 minutes prior to assigned pick-up time) and follow safety guidelines when boarding the bus.
- Follow the directions of your driver.
- Take a seat quickly and remain seated until exiting the bus.
- Keep your hands and feet to yourself.
- No eating, drinking or chewing gum while on the bus.
- Talk quietly to your seat partner.
- What should my child do if someone is bothering or threatening him/her? If someone is bothering your child, your child should ask him or her to stop. If they do not stop, then tell the bus driver and let the bus driver handle it. Hitting will not be tolerated. Please do not encourage your child to hit back. If they do, they are in violation of the same school board policy as the person who hit first.
- Adults boarding and obstructing a school bus: Adults are not allowed to enter or obstruct a school bus. N.C. State Law 14-132.2 Section B states: “Any person who shall enter a public school bus after being forbidden to do so by the authorized school bus driver in charge thereof, or the school principal to whom the public school bus or public school activity bus is assigned, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed one hundred ($100.00), imprisonment for not more than 30 days or both.” If you need to speak to a driver, send the driver a written request with your phone number for the driver to call you. Please do not talk with drivers at the bus stop.
- If your child misses the bus: Please drop them off in the front office. If your child misses the bus in the afternoon, you will be called to pick him/her up.
- If the bus is overcrowded: In the event that the bus is over capacity, students will either be moved to a different bus just for that afternoon or the driver may have to make a double route. This doesn’t happen often and we will try to notify the parent(s).
- Late buses: Occasionally, buses run late due to having a different driver (substitute), inclement weather (heavy rain/fog), or mechanical problems. Our main goal is to get students safely to campus.
If you have concerns about any transportation matters, please call the assistant principal (746-6742 ext. 8003). Please know the bus number, driver, and any names of other students.